Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833

 
 
Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
1. Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833 Marker
Inscription.  
From 1833-1841 this property was owned by Joseph Kerr Johnson, father of John and David Johnson of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum and no relation to Maro Johnson. Built c.1833-1838, the house and property were purchased by Maro Johnson and John Burns in 1841. Johnson purchased Burn's share of the house in 1847.

The house was restored and opened for tours in 1971.
 
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 40° 16.714′ N, 81° 52.588′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is about 200 feet north of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum (300 N. Whitewoman Street). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842 (a few steps from this marker); Wilson Jacob House - c.1890 (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); James LeRetilley Building - 1847 (within shouting distance of this marker); In 1838 (within shouting distance of this marker); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (within shouting distance of this marker); 24 Star Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); James Taylor House (Reconstructed) - 1971 (within shouting distance of this marker); Why Is It Called Whitewoman Street? (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
 
Also see . . .  Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
 
Dr. Maro Johnson's House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
2. Dr. Maro Johnson's House and Marker
Brick building at right of photo.
Dr. Maro Johnson's House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 27, 2016
3. Dr. Maro Johnson's House and Marker
Brick building at right of photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on August 30, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27369

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024