Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ringold Community

 
 
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
1. Ringold Community Marker
Inscription.  Older than Spalding County, Ringold Community grew around the two-story Ringold Masonic Lodge 90 building erected here in 1852. The lodge was established Oct. 31, 1849 at what became Walker’s Mill (1 mi. S). First Worshipful Master was Wiley J. Heflin. Marion Patrick served as Worshipful Master for over 30 years, longer than any other one man, and his son, George W. Patrick, Sr., one of the county’s most distinguished citizens, was Worshipful Master in 1949, the 100th birthday of the lodge.

In 1860, a company of volunteers, the Ringold Rangers, was organized across the road from the lodge house. Officially designated as Company C, 13th Georgia Infantry, it fought through the War Between the States. In 1879, Ringold Christian Church was established on lodge property across the road.

In 1922, the Mother Club, which became one of the first Home Demonstration Clubs, was founded here. First members were: President Mary Gaillard and Mesdames T. T. Henderson, Joe P. Manley, A. W. Edwards, P.P. Patrick, John Parham, W. P. Walker, Roswell Welden, Leon Pullin, G. W. Patrick, W. P. Nutt, T. W. Rhodes, T. Walter Futral, J. Mitchell Walker,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. J. Burks, William S. Patrick, Grover C. Patrick. Mrs. Myrtle Sibley was home demonstration agent at the time and Tap Bennett was county agent.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 33° 17.157′ N, 84° 9.763′ W. Marker is near Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is on Jackson Road, 0 miles east of Wisso Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4337 Jackson Road, Griffin GA 30223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locust Grove (approx. 5.4 miles away); Locust Grove Institute (approx. 5.4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 5˝ miles away); Martha Eleanora Holliday Grave (approx. 5.8 miles away); Pvt. Herman W. Smith (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lt. Jasper Kennedy (Kay) Larkin (approx. 5.8 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 5.9 miles away); Spalding County (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
2. Ringold Community Marker
Looking across Jackson Road to the Ringold Christian Church
 
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
3. Ringold Community Marker
Looking west on Jackson Road toward Griffin
Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
4. Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge
Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
5. Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,417 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27372

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024