Mt. Holly in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation
In 1682 the Lords Proprietors granted 3,000 acres here, on a branch of the Back River, to Joseph Thorogood (d. 1684). Though Thorogood only owned the plantation two years and his widow Jane sold it after his death, it was called “Thorogood” for most of the 19th century. By the 1720s Andrew Allen owned Thorogood, established a profitable rice plantation here, and was also engaged in the local fur trade.
Mount Holly Plantation
Thorogood passed to John Deas (d. 1788) and his son John, Jr. (1761-1790). It, Mount Holly, and Cyprus plantations remained in the Deas family until 1824. Subdivided after the Civil War, this area was the core of an African American farming community. H. Smith Richardson bought it as a hunting plantation in 1937, renaming it Mount Holly. Mt. Holly Aluminum has produced aluminum as its plant here since 1980.
Erected 2007 by Mt. Holly Aluminum. (Marker Number 8-49.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1682.
Location. 33° 2.325′ N, 80° 2.098′ W. Marker is in Mt. Holly, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from Mt. Holly Aluminum Driveway near North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling west. Located just north of Medway Road, at the entrance to Mount Holly Aluminum, approx 200 feet off US 52-North Goose Creek Blvd, while traveling north on US 52. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Medway Plantation (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Holly Station • Mount Holly (approx. 0.7 miles away); Early Indian Trading Paths / The Goose Creek Men (approx. ¾ mile away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 2.4 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,198 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.