Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Taylor
When the International & Great Northern Railroad built across Williamson County in 1876, one of the towns created along its route was “Taylorsville,” named for railroad executive Moses Taylor. Lots were sold in June, and the post office opened on August 9, 1876. The earliest settlers included railroad officials such as I. & G.N. president John R. Hoxie and agent Henry Dickson, and merchants such as C. P. Vance, who moved his general store from Circleville. John McMurray started a private school, and Mortimer R. Hoxie donated land for a cemetery. Methodist and Presbyterian churches were organized in 1876, and other congregations the following year. Located on a cattle trail, the new community soon became a major shipping point for cattle. A second rail line, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, was extended to Taylorsville in 1882, spurring further growth. The town was incorporated in 1882 with Daniel Moody, father of Texas governor Dan Moody (1893–1966), as its first mayor. In 1892 the city’s name was shortened to “Taylor.” By that time, cotton had joined cattle and the railroad as an important element in the local economy. Today light industry
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9358.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 30° 34.258′ N, 97° 24.569′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bill Pickett (a few steps from this marker); Tex Avery (a few steps from this marker); Preslar-Hewitt Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Eikel-Prewitt Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Taylor Post Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (about 700 feet away); Taylor National Bank (about 800 feet away); First Christian Church of Taylor (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . City of Taylor Official Website. (Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,404 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on November 13, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.