Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cookeville in Putnam County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Dixie College

 
 
Dixie College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
1. Dixie College Marker
Inscription.  This quadrangle was part of the grounds of the University of Dixie, commonly called "Dixie College," chartered 18 Nov. 1909. Jere Whitson and other Cookeville citizens led the drive for the college; Whitson donated twelve acres for the institution. Construction began 16 May 1911. In Sept, 1912, high school and junior college classes began in a building where Derryberry Hall now stands. In 1915 the Dixie Board ceded its property to the State to endow the present University
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is May 16, 1911.
 
Location. 36° 10.429′ N, 85° 30.25′ W. Marker is in Cookeville, Tennessee, in Putnam County. Marker is on Quadrangle close to W L Jones Dr.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cookeville TN 38505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walton Road - Old Burnt Stand (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town Spring (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tennessee Central Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War In Putnam County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Richard Fielding Cooke
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¾ mile away); Putnam County Courthouses (approx. 0.8 miles away); Israel Putnam (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Statue (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cookeville.
 
Dixie College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
2. Dixie College Marker
The Golden Eagle, which sits on the tower atop Derryberry Hall today, first appeared on the campus during the 1952-53 school year, when a group of students “borrowed” it from a Monteagle motel for a pre-game rally. At the request of Governor Frank G. Clement, the owner, John W. Harton, gave the eagle to Tech on June 5, 1958. The Governor announced that he would pardon the people who stole the eagle. The eagle received its golden finish in 1961, when it was placed in it’s present location.
Tennessee Tech Eagle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
3. Tennessee Tech Eagle
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,188 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee.   3. submitted on February 22, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27471

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024