Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Camp Milner

 
 
Confederate Camp Milner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
1. Confederate Camp Milner Marker
Inscription.  Most Georgia troops for the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin. Camp Milner, the Cavalry Camp, was named for Ben Milner, prominent Spalding County man who gave financial aid in equipping companies from his county. Camp Stephens, the Infantry Camp, was north of Griffin on McIntosh Road. Griffin and Spalding County furnished 9 companies to the Army and several to the Georgia Militia for local service. Camp Milner became Camp Northen, named for Gov. W. J. Northen, in 1898. During the Spanish-American War it was a training camp and mobilization center for National Guard. Later a fairgrounds, it is now the Municipal Park.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, Spanish-AmericanWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
 
Location. 33° 14.206′ N, 84° 16.286′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is on Pimento
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Avenue, 0 miles south of Camp Northen Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is just inside the entrance of the Griffin Municipal Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailey-Tebault House (approx. half a mile away); Fireman First Class Hiram Dennis Harris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pfc. Robert Kennedy (approx. 0.6 miles away); P.F.C. C.W. Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cpl. Linwood P. Martin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Staff Sgt. William F. Corley (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rotary International (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sgt. Hoke S. Cooley, Sr. (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
 
Confederate Camp Milner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
2. Confederate Camp Milner Marker
Confederate Camp Milner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
3. Confederate Camp Milner Marker
Confederate Camp Milner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
4. Confederate Camp Milner Marker
The flagpole is at the entrance to the Municipal Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,623 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27510

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024