Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Dean in Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom — Northwestern Europe (the British Isles)
 

Historic sites where nothing remains above ground

— West Dean Village History Trail —

 
 
Historic Sites where nothing remains above ground Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Ray Gurganus, April 1, 2025
1. Historic Sites where nothing remains above ground Marker
Inscription.
Roman Villa
In the fields marked on the map were several buildings. One of them also extended where the railway line and The Maltings now are. Excavations on different parts of the site were carried out in 1741, 1846 and 1871-3. The first excavation, in the area now covered by the railway line, revealed a tessellated paved floor, 66 feet by 18 feet, of which a four-foot square was taken to London for examination by the Society of Antiquaries and exhibited to the public at Charing Cross.

The second excavation, triggered by the railway construction destroying the site of the first one, related to adjoining areas of the same building where further tessellated paving was found. Those carried out by the Rev G S Master in 1871-3 revealed two more extensive buildings which he named Villa Urbana and Villa Rustica and where, in addition to the layout and construction, he discovered many objects. In 2014 a geophysical survey by English Heritage corresponded well with the map prepared by the Rev Master.

Church of All Saints
The Church of All Saints stood on Moody's Hill and was the church of the Hampshire ecclesiastical parish
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
of West Dean. The date of its foundation is not known but mention can be found as early as 1200, it was listed in the churches of the Winchester Diocese in 1284 and its patrons and rectors are recorded from 1321 to 1467. Due to the parish having become insufficient to support a rector of its own it was united in 1473 with the Church of St Mary in the Wiltshire ecclesiastical parish of West Dean under the Salisbury Diocese. The agreement between the two dioceses provided that tithes from the Hampshire parish were to go to the rector of St Mary's who in return was to conduct mass in All Saints every week and to be responsible for the repair and even the rebuilding of its chancel. At what point All Saints was demolished is not known but even its site was forgotten until March 1870 when the accidental discovery of a stone coffin (now in the Borbach Chantry) led to excavations which revealed the existence of numerous burials and the foundations of the eastern end of the chancel.

West Dean House
George Evelyn had established the family fortunes in the 16th century by obtaining the royal monopoly on the manufacture of gunpowder. In 1618
Paid Advertisement
one of his descendants, John Evelyn, bought the manor and estate of West Dean.

Although the precise date of West Dean House, originally called Deane House, is not known, it is thought likely that because the design incorporated old-fashioned Jacobean and more modern Renaissance style details, it was built by John Evelyn between 1618 and his death in 1627. The house was of brick with stone dressings. To either side of the house were extensive orangeries, each with four large windows and five pillars.

On the western side was a magnificent terrace with a central staircase. Below this was a grove of elm trees at the top of a succession of terraces and formal gardens leading to a park with Dutch style canals fed by a large fish pond.

In 1692 following the death of her mother, Mary Pierrepont aged three, later to become the well-known writer Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, came to live in West Dean House with her grandmother Elizabeth Pierrepont, herself the great grand-daughter of John Evelyn. Mary remained there until Elizabeth Pierrepont died in 1699. Lady Mary was less than impressed with West Dean when she returned to it in 1710 and it is believed it was from West Dean that she eloped with Edward Wortley Montagu in 1712, the carriage for her escape being secreted by the mound of the Norman motte. The last people to live in West Dean House were a group of nuns in the 18th century. After they left in 1799 the house stood empty until 1823 when it was demolished.
 
Erected by West Dean Parish Council.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & ArchaeologyReligion & Religious Structures.
 
Location. 51° 2.553′ N, 1° 38.115′ W. Marker is in West Dean, England, in Wiltshire. It is on Rectory Hill. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rectory Hill, West Dean, England SP5 1JQ, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in South West England. Globally, it is on the Atlantic Ocean, in the North Atlantic Region, in Europe, in Atlantic Europe, on one of the British Isles, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Roman Empire.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Number 23 Clare Cottage (here, next to this marker); Henrietta Crook House (here, next to this marker); West Dean School (here, next to this marker); Dean House (here, next to this marker); The Post Office (here, next to this marker); The Wheelwright's and Blacksmith's Shop (here, next to this marker); Royal Naval Armaments Depot (here, next to this marker); Bridge Cottage (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Dean.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2025. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2025, by Ray Gurganus of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on June 11, 2025, by Ray Gurganus of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
m=275161

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 28, 2026