Carolina Beach in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sugar Loaf Line
Circa 1865
Confederate forces under General Robert Hoke occupied the Sugar Loaf Line north of Fort Fisher falling under Union advances on January 13, 1865.
These man made earthworks running north from Fort Fisher remain as historical evidence of the Confederate soldiers efforts to defend the City of Wilmington, the last remaining major port of the blockade runners. With the fall of Wilmington, the Union blockade of southern ports was complete.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is January 13, 1865.
Location. 34° 2.789′ N, 77° 53.725′ W. Marker is in Carolina Beach, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. It is at the intersection of Sugarloaf Court and Lighthouse Drive, on the right when traveling north on Sugarloaf Court. Marker is located on a preserved community tract of land adjacent to the lot at 130 Lighthouse Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Sugarloaf Court, Carolina Beach NC 28428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Carolina’s Coastal Plain and on the Cape Fear Coast. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, in the Tidewater, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: For a little while it was a lively and interesting fight (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I hope we can hold Wilmington (about 500 feet away); Such parts of the Sugar Loaf line... (about 600 feet away); We are strongly entrenched here... (about 600 feet away); Joseph Ryder Lewis Jr. Civil War Park (about 600 feet away); To close the port of Wilmington... (about 600 feet away); Battlefield of Sugar Loaf (about 700 feet away); Civil War Fortifications (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carolina Beach.
More about this marker. The mound of earth
running north from the marker is the referenced surviving trace of the Confederate Sugar Loaf Defense Line constructed by Confederates.
Regarding Sugar Loaf Line. The Confederate Army constructed earthworks in this location to protect the land approach to Wilmington during the Civil War. The Sugar Loaf Line, named for the big sand dune of the same name on the River side of Pleasure Island, was intended to trap any federal landing forces between these fortifications to the north (using Myrtle Sound as a barrier on the left flank) and Fort Fisher to the south.
Earthworks surviving in the Cape Fear region are uncommon due to the soil composition and exposure to wind and water. Much of the earthen fortifications south at Fort Fisher State Historic Site have eroded into the ocean. This particular earthwork, as well as a trace running through Carolina Beach State Park east of the Sugar Loaf sand dune that give the line its name, and a trace in the Joseph Ryder Lewis, Jr. Civil War Park (opened in 2021), are apparently the only remains of the Sugar Loaf Line. In addition, though, the remains of the Half-Moon Battery (a standalone segment

Photographed by Evan Dwyer, January 25, 2025
3. Sugar Loaf Line Marker & Earthworks
View from Sugarloaf Court illustrating the elevation change from street level to the earthwork trace. When originally constructed, the earthworks were taller, and the interior (facing the camera) would have been supported with logs or gabions (reed-woven stick columns filled with soil or rocks) to form a vertical wall that soldiers could hide behind.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2026. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2025, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 85 times this year. Last updated on June 15, 2025, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2025, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.


