Mesa in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Mesa Woman's Club House
On March 9, 1917, fifty-three women, inspired by Margaret Wheeler Ross, past president, 1914-1916, of the General Federation of Women's Clubs of Arizona, chartered the "Woman's Club of Mesa". Since 1901, Federated Women's Clubs, an international organization, has supported cultural and social activities, working for the betterment of family life. The Mesa group affiliated with the Federation and began in 1918 to raise funds for a club house. Distinguished by a corner turret capped with a red clay tile roof, this Spanish Colonial Revival brick building was completed on October 30, 1931.
Listed: National Register of Historic Places, 1991.
Erected 1994 by GFWC-Scottsdale Junior Women's Club, GFWC-Arizona, and Arizona Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women.
Location. 33° 25.182′ N, 111° 50.055′ W. Marker is in Mesa, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of North Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North MacDonald Street, Mesa AZ 85201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sirrine House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Alhambra Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arizona's Honeymoon Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mesa (approx. 0.9 miles away); Landmark Restaurant / Mesa Community College (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mesa Pioneer Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mesa Grande (approx. 1.2 miles away); Prehistoric Irrigation in the Salt River Valley (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mesa.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.