Cheshire in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Canal locks controlled the flow of the water to compensate for the slope of the land. Farmers living nearby would answer the barge captain's horn, coming to maneuver the locks. Flat-bottomed boats were pulled by mules walking alongside the canal.
The barges carried goods and passengers between ports; a trip from New Haven to Cheshire cost sixty-two cents and took nearly five hours. Local children enjoyed swimming and skating on the canal.
It has been reported that in 1839, the Amistad slaves were transported on the canal from the New Haven prison to Farmington. Horsecarts then carried them to the courthouse in Hartford for trial.
The canal operated from 1828 to 1848; trains then became the preferred form of transportation. Lock 12 is the only restored lock remaining today.
Composed by the Doolittle Elementary School Student Volunteers
Location. 41° 28.504′ N, 72° 55.429′ W. Marker is in Cheshire Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cheshire CT 06410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Medal of Honor Plaza and “Living Classroom” (approx. 1.4 miles away); "Stepping Stone" (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cheshire World War I Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cheshire Revolutionary War Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Town of Cheshire Memorial Plaza (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cheshire Civil War Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Church Of Cheshire (approx. 2 miles away); Cheshire (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheshire.
Also see . . .
1. Farmington Canal on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Farmington Canal Rail-to-Trail Association. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Lock 12.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,263 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.