Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murrisk in County Mayo, Connacht, Ireland — Irish West ((Éire) North Atlantic Ocean)
 

Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce

 
 
Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
1. Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce Marker
Inscription.  
Murrisk - from Muraisc (Sea-marsh)

Murrisk Friary
This small house of Augustinian friars, located here on the south shore of Clew Bay in the shadow of Croagh Patrick, was founded in 1457 by Hugh O'Malley. It was dedicated to St Patrick, some of whose relics were preserved here.

The only surviving buildings are the small church and the range of domestic buildings which bordered the cloister on its east side - the chapter house below, where the friars met to discuss business and read the daily chapter of the order's rule, and the dormitory above. The cloister itself has disappeared. The church has unusual battlemented walls and a fine east window which once threw sunlight onto the altar. A bell-tower was sited at the west end of the church rather than in the centre as is more usual, but this had fallen before the end of the 18th century.

Mainistir Mhuraisce
Is é Aodh Ó Máille a bhunaigh an mhainistir bheag seo, atá ar bhruach theas Chuan Mó agus faoi scáth Chruach Phádraig, sa bhliain 1457. Mainistir Aguistíneach a bhí inti, le Naomh Pádraig mar phátrún
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
aici, agus taisí naofa leis ar coimeád inti tráth.

Ní mhaireann anois ach an eaglais bheag agus sraith foirgneamh tís - teach na caibidle thíos agus an seomra mór codlata thuas - thart timpeall an chlabhstra ar an taobh thoir. Tá an clabhstra féin imithe. Tá ballaí neamhghnácha táibhleacha san eaglais agus fuinneog bhreá sa bhalla thoir a scaoil solas na gréine isteach ar an altóir. Bhí cloigtheach suite ag an taobh thiar den eaglais (cé gur gnách é bheith ina lár), ach thit sé seo roimh dheireadh an 18ú haois.
 
Erected by The Office of Public Works / Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1457.
 
Location. 53° 46.927′ N, 9° 38.386′ W. Marker is in Murrisk, Connacht, in County Mayo. Marker is in the cemetery, adjacent to the NW corner of the church ruins, immediately south of Murrisk Millenium Park, and about 300 meters north of the Croagh Patrick Visitor Center parking lot off Road R335. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Squadron Leader R. F. C. Garvey (within shouting distance of this marker); National Famine Memorial (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Murrisk Abbey / National Famine Monument / Statue of St Patrick
East Window Depiction on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
2. East Window Depiction on Marker
(approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Murrisk Fisherman's Monument (approx. one kilometer away); Major John Mac Bride / Seán Mac Giolla Bríde (approx. 8 kilometers away); Lime Kiln, Moneen, (approx. 9.6 kilometers away); Famine Museum and Granuaile Centre, Louisburgh (approx. 11.4 kilometers away); Srahwee or Altóir Megalithic Wedge Tomb (approx. 14.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murrisk.
 
Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
3. Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce & Marker
Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
4. Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce & Marker
Looking southeast.
Murrisk Friary East Window image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
5. Murrisk Friary East Window
Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
6. Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce Interior
Looking west.
View of Clew Bay from Murrisk Friary image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 24, 2009
7. View of Clew Bay from Murrisk Friary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,530 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27587

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024