Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Founding of Griffin
>>>>--- 2 Bl. --->
Near the present junction of the Central and Southern Railways, from a stump near the town spring, on June 8, 1840, Gen. Lewis Lawrence Griffin sold lots to the highest bidder, thus establishing the City of Griffin. William Leake bought the first lot. Gen. Griffin, an early advocate of the railroad and one of the wealthiest men in Middle Georgia, was the first president of the Monroe Railroad and Banking Co. A General in the Georgia Militia, he fought in the Indian war known as the Florida Campaign and in the wars against the Creeks. He served in the State Legislature in 1829 and 1830.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 14.817′ N, 84° 16.05′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Founding of Griffin (approx. ¼ mile away); Rotary International (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spalding County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); The City of Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Camp Milner (approx. ¾ mile away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 0.8 miles away); Georgia Militia at Griffin (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.