Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Longhorn Caverns

 
 
Longhorn Caverns Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 23, 2007
1. Longhorn Caverns Marker
Inscription.  Rich in history and folklore. A young geologic formation, only a few million years old. Bones of elephant, bison, bear, deer, other animals have been found here. When white men came to area in 1840's, Indians knew the caverns; Rangers once found and rescued a kidnapped girl from Indians in "Council Room."

During Civil War (1861-1865) gunpowder was manufactured and stored here. In 1870's outlaws, including the Sam Bass gang, sometimes lived in the cavern.

Site of night club in 1920's.

Has many unique features. Was opened to public in 1932.
 
Erected 1967 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9724.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentNative AmericansNatural Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
 
Location. 30° 41.073′ N, 98° 21.062′ W. Marker is near Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker can be reached from Park Rd 4 S. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longhorn Cavern Administration Building (within
Longhorn Caverns Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 15, 2019
2. Longhorn Caverns Marker
Wide view of marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
shouting distance of this marker); Hoover's Valley Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Tobey Community Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fisher - Miller - Grant (approx. 4.7 miles away); Crownover Chapel (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Antlers Caboose Rooms (approx. 5.3 miles away); McKinley Coach (approx. 5.3 miles away); Antlers Hotel (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
 
Also see . . .
1. Longorn Caverns State Park. (Submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
 
Additional commentary.
1. The Insiders' Guide to San Antonio
This source provides the following description on kidnapped girl story referenced on the marker. Quote "...Comanches once kidnapped a young woman named Mariel King and brought her back to the cavern. The Indians did not realize they had been followed by three Texas Rangers. When the Indians prepared a campfire, the Rangers fired on then,
Entrance to Longhorn Caverns image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 23, 2007
3. Entrance to Longhorn Caverns
grabbed Mariel King, and raced for the entrance. Meanwhile, the surviving Comanche regrouped and began their counter attack, falling upon the Rangers before they reached the cavern entrance. A desperate hand to hand battle took place, with the Rangers finally escaping with Mariel King. Ending the story with a fairy-tale flourish, King later married one of her rescuers, Logan Van Deveer (sic), and the couple made their home in Burnet..."
    — Submitted December 31, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.

2. Daughters of Republic of Texas, Volume 1 (ISBN-13: 9781563112140)
This source states the rangers as being Noah Smithwick, William Magill, and Logan Vandeveer, and quotes a date of 1840, and that the Indians as being Comanches "fleeing" the Council House fight in San Antonio. The Council House fight took place in March of 1840.
    — Submitted December 31, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
 
Longhorn Caverns, Registered Natural Landmark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 30, 2011
4. Longhorn Caverns, Registered Natural Landmark Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,456 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on September 28, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   4. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27594

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 20, 2022