Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Monroe County Since 1817

 
 
Monroe County Since 1817 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, March 26, 2021
1. Monroe County Since 1817 Marker
One of the first four Monroe County Historical Society markers to be refurbished in blue and silver and placed at Loranger Square.
Inscription.  Monroe County was established in July, 1817, as one of the first steps in the organization of Michigan Territory after the War of 1812.

Then the old settlement of Frenchtown which centered upon this square took the name of Monroe and became the county seat, September, 1817.

At first Monroe County included the lands now Lenawee and Washtenaw Counties. After the latter were established Lenawee was attached to Monroe County for administration, 1822-1826.

Controversy over the country's southern boundary culminated in the bloodless Michigan-Ohio war 1835-36. In settlement the U.S. Congress gave to Ohio Monroe County lands that became Toledo. Michigan in return obtained its Upper Peninsula.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1817.
 
Location. 41° 54.895′ N, 83° 23.81′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East First Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Washington Street on East First Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 E First St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Relic of the Battle of the Raisin (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The County of Monroe (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Loranger 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); Beneath this fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Whipping Post (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Monroe (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
Monroe County Since 1817 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, March 26, 2021
2. Monroe County Since 1817 Marker
Refurbished marker shown in front of Monroe County Courthouse
Monroe County Since 1817 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, February 15, 2010
3. Monroe County Since 1817 Marker
View of historical marker in the foreground with the Monroe County Courthouse in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,032 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3. submitted on February 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27634

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024