Near Plantersville in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prince Frederick's Chapel
The first church on this site, known as Prince Frederick's Chapel, Pee Dee, was built in 1848 on a site donated by the Rev. Hugh Fraser in 1834. Most of its parishioners were rice planters along the Pee Dee River. These ruins are of the second church here, approved by a committee of R.F.W. Allston, Davison McDowell and Francis Weston and begun in 1859 but interrupted by the Civil War.
This Gothic Revival church designed by Louis J. Barbot was completed in 1876 with a gift of $1700 by John Earle Allston. With the decline of rice planting the church gradually fell into disrepair and was eventually deemed unsafe. It was demolished in 1966, leaving only the front wall and tower. The ruins were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2001 by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina. (Marker Number 22-52.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 33° 30.351′ N, 79° 10.832′ W. Marker is near Plantersville, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Plantersville Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is 4 miles east of US 701. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chicora Wood (approx. 0.8 miles away); All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw (approx. 3.6 miles away); Joseph & Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. John A.M.E. Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Joseph Alston (approx. 4.9 miles away); Brookgreen Plantation (approx. 5 miles away); Washington Allston (approx. 5 miles away); Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 5 miles away).
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Prince Frederick's Chapel Ruins (added 1974 - Site - #74001858)
Also known as Prince Frederick's Chapel
Area of Significance: Architecture, Religion
Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1875-1899
Historic Function: Religion
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
Current Function: Vacant/Not In Use
— Submitted January 13, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,706 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 5. submitted on April 17, 2010, by Karen Tindal Main of Georgetown, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on April 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.