Stafford in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early residents of the Stafford's Point community included families of Sam Bell, Elijah Roark, Dr. P. W. Rose, Moses Shipman, and Mr. West. Dr. Rose, a former U. S. Army surgeon, tended the sick and also hired (1834) a teacher for his children and ten others studying in a one-room schoolhouse. In the Runaway Scrape of 1836, the settlers and their slaves fled east as Santa Anna's Army camped here, pillaging homes and mills. Stafford's Point was resettled after the War for Independence, and again prospered. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado, first railroad in Texas, was completed from Harrisburg to this village in 1853.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9068.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 37.424′ N, 95° 34.985′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Dulles Avenue and Viking Lane, on the right when traveling south on Dulles Avenue. Next to the Mamie George Branch of the Fort Bend County Libraries. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 Dulles Avenue, Stafford TX 77477, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sugar Land Refinery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Texas Prison System Central State Farm Main Building (approx. 4.8 miles away); Hodge's Bend Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bellaire (approx. 8.8 miles Bellaire Presbyterian Church (approx. 9 miles away); Bellaire Streetcar Line (approx. 9 miles away); Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,523 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on May 4, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.