Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

West Haven

 
 
West Haven Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, February 15, 2010
1. West Haven Marker
Inscription.  
West Haven
West Farms (West Haven) recorded its first household in 1648. Part of the original New Haven Colony, West Farms became the separate parish of West Haven in 1719 when the Connecticut General Assembly granted a petition submitted in 1712.
West Haven and North Milford joined in 1822 to for the Town of Orange. The rural and residential sections of Orange separated in 1921 when the residential part, West Haven became Connecticut's youngest town.
In 1961 West Haven was incorporated as a city and adopted a mayor – council form of government. By this action, one of the oldest settlements became the newest municipality in Connecticut.
Erected by the City of West Haven
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1971
 
Erected 1971 by City of West Haven, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1648.
 
Location. 41° 16.345′ N, 72° 57.001′ W. Marker is in West Haven,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Campbell Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Located in front of West Haven City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 355 Main Street, West Haven CT 06516, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. SSg Thomas E. Vitagliano (within shouting distance of this marker); West Haven World War I Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); West Haven Revolutionary War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Haven Twilight League 1933 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Painter Park World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); VFW Post 1684 Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Lone Sailor (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Haven.
 
Also see . . .
1. West Haven, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. City of West Haven. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
West Haven Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, February 15, 2010
2. West Haven Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,310 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27802

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024