Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lewis Lawrence Griffin
In 1840 General Griffin auctioned off lots in the town which was named for him and through which the railroad would pass. He planned a great city with wide boulevards. A philanthropist, he gave generous lots to churches, schools, public buildings and a parade ground. He sacrificed a fortune attempting to save the railroad and the bank connected with it from financial ruin. Unsuccessful, he moved to Mississippi where he made another fortune and died in 1867.
When he visited Griffin in 1856 to receive a hero’s welcome, the town newspaper commented: “He did more than any other man to arouse the people of Central and Western Georgia to a proper sense of the necessity of works of internal improvement.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 14.926′ N, 84° 15.72′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is at the intersection of East Solomon Street and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Solomon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of Griffin (here, next to this marker); Spalding County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rotary International (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Spalding County (approx. half a mile away); Georgia Militia at Griffin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,266 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.