Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The City of Griffin
In 1850 the form of government changed to Mayor and City Council with Alexander Moore designated as the first mayor of Griffin. The Mayor-Council form was followed until December 10, 1918 when J. Woods Hammond was the last mayor. At that time Griffin inaugurated a three member commission with one member serving as chairman and providing for a city manager to be employed by the Board of Commissioners. The first commission was composed of J.W. Greasham, Chairman, R. F. Strickland, Vice-Chairman, B. B. Brown, Commissioner. E. P. Bridges was the first City Manager.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society marker series.
Location. 33° 14.926′ N, 84° 15.718′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is at the intersection of East Solomon Street and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Solomon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis Lawrence Griffin (here, next to this marker); Spalding County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rotary International (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Spalding County (approx. half a mile away); Georgia Militia at Griffin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.