Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington Court House in Fayette County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Washington Cemetery

 
 
Old Washington Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 18, 2010
1. Old Washington Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  
Washington Court House was founded in 1810 by American Revolutionary War veterans from the state of Virginia. They also established Washington Cemetery in 1810 and located it in what was originally the southern part of the town. With the coming of the railroad, the cemetery's size was reduced to what is now approximately half an acre of land containing one hundred and twelve headstones. One of the prominent people buried in the cemetery is Judge Wade Loofborough, known for his interest in the utopian socialist society called Fourierism. He purchased land in Clermont County to establish the society, but it failed. Loofborough eventually became a respected judge and lawyer in Fayette County. Other distinguished people buried here include veterans of the American Revolution and the War of 1812.
 
Erected 2008 by Fayette County Travel and Tourism and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesPolitical Subdivisions
Old Washington Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 18, 2010
2. Old Washington Cemetery and Marker
County courthouse at upper right distance.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & SettlersWar of 1812War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
 
Location. 39° 32.023′ N, 83° 26.471′ W. Marker is in Washington Court House, Ohio, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of East Street and the railroad right of way, on the right when traveling west on East Street. Marker is about 300 feet ESE of the Court Street (US Route 22) Bridge over Paint Creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Court House OH 43160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War Veterans Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fayette County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Savings Quota (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fayette County Court House / Washington Court House Riot of 1894 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fayette County World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); 104mm German Cannon (approx. half a mile
Old Washington Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 18, 2010
3. Old Washington Cemetery and Marker
Looking ENE.
away); Veterans Bicentennial Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington Court House.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Utopian Movement and Fourierism. (Submitted on February 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fourierism & the Socialists. (Submitted on February 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Wade Loofborough/Loofbourrow Grave Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 18, 2010
4. Wade Loofborough/Loofbourrow Grave Marker
In Old Washington Cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 917 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27828

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021