Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Croghan Stone Building

 
 
Fort Croghan Stone Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, July 25, 2025
1. Fort Croghan Stone Building Marker
Inscription. One of 8 buildings of Fort Croghan, U.S. Army post, 1849-1853, later used by frontier "Minute Men" and local settlers.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1974

 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9712.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US Indian. A significant day of the year for for this entry is May 31.
 
Location. 30° 45.407′ N, 98° 14.271′ W. Marker is in Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. It is at the intersection of Buchanan Drive (State Highway 29) and Fort Croghan Drive on Buchanan Drive. The marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Croghan Historical Museum complex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 W SH 29, Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Hill Country. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Stage Stop Building (here, next to this marker); Peter Kerr, 1795-1861 (here, next to this marker); Kincheloe Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Fort Croghan Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Logan Vandeveer (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lookout Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Croghan (about 500 feet away); Rocky Rest (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
 
Regarding Fort Croghan Stone Building. Adjutant'S Office/Powder House - This stone building is one of the only
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
two buildings left of the original fort. In 1966, this building was restored and became a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. This was the only all rock building on the fort, others being built of logs or a combination of both. While the fort was active, this building was the Adjutant's Office. It housed the headquarters for the Second U.S. Dragoon Regiment. During the Civil War, Confederate troops used the fort grounds to drill, and gun powder was stored in the Adjutant's Office. The building was thereafter known as the "Powder House". According to legend, the building was also used as a school for black children.

Today it represents a Post Exchange. This was a store on the post which sold items that the soldiers could use. It was run by a civilian who contracted with the Army. Married troops could buy provisions here. Some fort commanders restricted the sale of whiskey so the men would be sober while on duty.
 
Also see . . .  History of Fort Croghan: A Military Post in Burnet County. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Fort Croghan, a United States military post, was established at the site of a frontier post known
Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, July 25, 2025
2. Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker
as McCulloch's Station, on Hamilton Creek three miles south of the site of present Burnet in Burnet County. Henry E. McCulloch and his rangers were stationed there when the place was chosen for the fort on March 13, 1849, by Lt. C. H. Tyler, commander of Company A of the Second Dragoons. McCulloch was not relieved of his duty until March 18, when the site became officially a federal post. On October 12 a new location was chosen, and the fort was built across Hamilton Creek three miles above the first site. The post was known as Camp Croghan, then Camp Hamilton, and finally as Fort Croghan, in honor of Col. George Croghan. The buildings were of oak covered with shingles; officers' quarters were four log houses, each with two rooms separated by a hall. The hospital was a large four-room log house. The fort became headquarters of the Second Dragoons in 1852, but the government started removing its troops in 1853, and only a small guard remained when orders were issued to abandon the fort in 1855. The buildings were used as residences; the old hospital, long the home of W. P. Fry, was torn down in 1922. In 1940 only the foundations remained
The view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker (on the building) image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, July 25, 2025
3. The view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker (on the building)
as evidence of the military occupation.
(Submitted on July 27, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The inside view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, July 25, 2025
4. The inside view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building
The view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker from the museum grounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, July 25, 2025
5. The view of the Fort Croghan Stone Building and Marker from the museum grounds
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2025. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
m=279805

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2026