Prattville in Autauga County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Mulbry Grove Cottage
McWilliams - Smith - Rice House
The west front parlor was the meeting place where the Prattville Dragoons, a Civil War unit, was organized in 1861. Occupied for many years by George L. and Abbie Holt Smith, the house remained in the hands of their descendants until 1995. Charles Rice, a nephew by marriage of George and Abbie Smith’s son, Frederick D. Smith, donated it to Autauga County Heritage Association and the City of Prattville for use as a museum. This antebellum home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as inclusive in the Daniel Pratt Historic District.
Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association / Autauga County Heritage Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 27.574′ N, 86° 28.353′ W. Marker is in Prattville, Alabama, in Autauga CountyTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prattville AL 36066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson Pickett, Jr. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Autauga Creek (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama / Original Members (about 600 feet away); Old Plank Road (about 800 feet away); Heritage Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Autauga County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel Pratt/First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Mark's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prattville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 3,640 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.