Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williams' Ky. Cavalry at Nancy's Creek
July 18. Brig. Gen. John S. Williams’ (formerly Grigsby’s) Kentucky brigade, Wheeler’s cav., patrolled this road. Though outnumbered, Williams’ troops fought delaying actions to obstruct the march of Howard’s 4th A.C., moving from Crossroads Church to Buckhead.
Williams’ brigade, with a section of artillery, halted Federal progress at Nancy’s Creek until forced back by superior numbers.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 52.036′ N, 84° 23.558′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Powers Ferry Road NW and Pineland Road NW, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Howard’s Corps at Nancy’s Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sardis Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Howard's March to Buckhead (approx. 1½ miles away); 20th A.C.; Pace's Fy. Rd. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hascall’s Div. Camped (approx. 1.7 miles away); Civil War Siege Cannon (approx. 1.8 miles away); Swan House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gov. John M. Slaton (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.