Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old Negro Cemetery / Fairview Cemetery
The earliest burials in this cemetery date from Eufaula’s pioneer days in the late 1830’s and early 1840’s. Formerly known as the “Old Cemetery”, this public burial ground has been expanded through land purchases and the consolidation of other cemeteries including the Jewish, Presbyterian, Masonic, Odd Fellows and Negro. At the suggestion of his daughter, Claude Hill, Mayor P. B. McKenzie named the cemetery “Fairview” about 1895. The iron fence which borders the property on North Randolph Avenue was salvaged from Union Female College.
Erected 1991 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission / City of Eufaula.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 54.177′ N, 85° 8.532′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Randolph Avenue and East Browder Street. Marker is located in the Fairview Cemetery northeast of the entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eufaula (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tree That Owns Itself (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cotton and Creek Country (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hart House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Town of Irwinton (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
Also see . . . Fairview Cemetery at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on September 18, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 4,853 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.