Knoxville in Crawford County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration (WPA).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 32° 43.467′ N, 83° 59.867′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Georgia, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of East Crusselle Street (U.S. 80) and Fair Play Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on East Crusselle Street. The marker, mounted on a stone, stands in front on the Crawford County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville GA 31050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexis de Tocqueville (a few steps from this marker); Crawford County (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (a few steps from this marker); Federal Wire Road William Bartram Trail (approx. ¾ mile away); Clarence Moseley “Ribs” Peel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Creek Agency (approx. 6½ miles away); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
Regarding Joanna Troutman. The Crawford County Courthouse is on the route Captain William Ward's Georgia Volunteers followed from Macon to Columbus en route to Texas and the Battle of Goliad.
Joanna Troutman died in 1879 and was buried at Elmwood, her plantation home in Crawford County. Her remains were moved to the State Cemetery at Austin, Texas, in 1913. A bronze statue by Pompeo Coppini was erected above her grave.
Additional keywords. Flag
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • War, Texas Independence • Women •
More. Search the internet for Joanna Troutman.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.