Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tavern Cellar

Brentsville

 
 
Brentsville –Tavern Cellar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
1. Brentsville –Tavern Cellar Marker
Inscription.  Here, you can see the edges of a large depression. It is located inside ropes that mark the Tavern’s foundation. This feature was one of two cellars underneath the ca. 1822 Tavern building. These cellars were beneath two rooms that flanked the central passageway.

When owner Thomas R. Hampton advertised the sale of the Brentsville Tavern in 1828, he noted that two rooms “…have been well fitted up as a store and counting room with a large cellar underneath…”. * This may be the cellar that Hampton mentioned. It was likely accessed through an interior stairway and an exterior bulkhead.
* Alexandria Gazette, 22 November, 1828

(sidebar)Please help protect this important historic resource. Metal detecting, collecting and other destructive activities are prohibited. Thank you.

Preservation

By the early 1900s, little of the Tavern building remained. Most walls had collapsed. Many of the large features (cellars and pits) had been backfilled. This cellar remained open. Over time, debris collected here. Weather, rodents, and people further threatened the site. To preserve
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the cellar for later study, the Historic Preservation Division lined and filled it with sand in 2006. Archaeologists will be able to remove this sand and excavate the cellar in the future.

(caption for lower, left picture) The cellar feature was visible and vulnerable before it was filled and stabilized in 2006.

(caption for lower, center picture) Rodents burrowing along the cellar foundation exposed bricks and weakened the structure.

(caption for lower, right picture) Workers lined the cellar depression with filter fabric then filled it with sand to preserve the remaining walls.
 
Erected 2007 by Prince William County and the Friends of Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is November 22, 1828.
 
Location. 38° 41.384′ N, 77° 30.054′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Bristow Road (County Route 806), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12235 Bristow Road, Bristow VA 20136, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Outbuildings (here, next to this marker); The Tavern (a few steps from this marker); 1822 Tavern Site (a few steps from
Brentsville –Tavern Cellar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
2. Brentsville –Tavern Cellar Marker
this marker); a different marker also named Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Archaeology (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 1822 Tavern Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Clerk's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town (within shouting distance of this marker); One-Room School (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2810

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024