Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edom in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin

 
 
Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 28, 2010
1. Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin Marker
Inscription.  As was the case in so many small Texas towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the cotton gin in Edom was a major element in the economy. First opened at this site in 1918 by Ro Dike, who moved his ginning operation here from Davidson (3 mi. W), the gin was owned and operated by local merchant C.W. Morris beginning in 1924. For approximately 4 months in late summer and early fall, most activities revolved around ginning. Some 700 to 800 farmers depended on the local cotton gin. In peak season the gin was known to operate 24 hours a day. The original Continental Gin Company machinery burned in 1929 and was replaced with modern diesel-powered equipment manufactured by the Murray Gin Company. During the 1930s the gin processed an average of 3 to 4 bales of cotton per hour. The gin shut down about 1946.
 
Erected 1999. (Marker Number 12261.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
 
Location. 32° 22.358′ N, 95° 36.405′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Edom, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 279, on the left when traveling west. About 200 yards East of FM 314. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ben Wheeler TX 75754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asbury Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Adren Anglin (approx. 4˝ miles away); Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Site of Old Normandy (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cherokee Chief Bowles (approx. 6.2 miles away); County Line Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rock Hill Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alamo Institute (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edom.
 
Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 28, 2010
2. Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin
It appears the gin is in ruins.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,331 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28115

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 21, 2023