Downtown in Pueblo in Pueblo County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Colorado Telephone Company
112 West D Street
| | Date of Construction Unknown - Architectural Style: Mission | |
In 1874, the Central Colorado Improvement Co. (Wm. J. Palmer & Thomas C. Parrish) sold the property to Mayland Cuthbert, trustee, for $1,475. In 1880, Benjamin Hough sold this land to Horace N. Banks for the sum of $200. In 1883, the property sold for $3,000 to Lorenz Stumpf. C. F. Ray purchased the property for $4,500 in 1887.
Frederick O. Vaille introduced telephone service to Pueblo in 1880. The Colorado Telephone Company was originally located at 408 North Santa Fe Avenue and moved to D Street in 1899. In 1911, the name changed to the Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Co.
The company's day of outstanding community service occurred on June 3, 1921. This was the day the female switchboard operators became heroines. It had been raining for several days and upriver the Schaefer Dam broke. The City was alerted to the oncoming flood. The women stayed at their posts calling people down river warning them of the flood. Untold numbers of lives were saved; but the women were trapped in the building. Once power was lost, the women moved to the third floor, played a Victrola and danced to wile the hours away until they were rescued by men in rowboats from Lake Clara.
Byron Thady, the only man present, was awarded a gold Theodore N. Vail medal for saving the company's cable records when he ventured down onto the flooded first floor. Josephine Pryor, the chief day operator, received a silver medal for her leadership and the other 13 women received bronze medals.
The telephone company moved from the D Street building in 1954 when dial conversion was introduced.
Gary and Ida Anzuini renovated the building in 1998 with office spaces and apartments.
This project funded by a grant from the Colorado Historical Society State Historical Fund, Historic Pueblo Business Center Association, Security Title Guaranty Co., Kathie White, Mary Orf, John Demas, Friends and The Farley Foundation
Erected by Colorado Historical Society State Historical Fund. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Communications • Disasters • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is June 3, 1921.
Location. 38° 15.883′ N, 104° 36.856′ W. Marker is in Pueblo, Colorado, in Pueblo County. It is in Downtown. It is on West D Street north of South Union Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Marker located outside an insurance agency office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 W D St, Pueblo CO 81003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Colorado’s Arkansas River Valley and in the Front Range. It is also in the American Mountain West. Globally, it is in North America, the Rocky Mountains, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Comancherνa and also the Republic of Texas.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Gold Dust Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orman Block (about 300 feet away); Cooper & Allen Block (about 300 feet away); Turf Exchange (about 300 feet away); Site of South Pueblo's Hanging Tree (about 300 feet away); The Pueblo Street Railway Company Stable Site (about 300 feet away); Schlitz Building (about 300 feet away); Graham-Wescott Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pueblo.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2025. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2025, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2025, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.


