Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wells in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Homer-Alto Road

 
 
Homer-Alto Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, November 22, 2009
1. Homer-Alto Road Marker
Inscription.  As the population increased in Angelina and Cherokee counties in the 1860s, a formal system of roads began to take shape. Until that time, roads were usually forged by farmers and other pioneers carrying goods to market or traveling to new homes, as in other areas of Texas. Construction of a road from Homer (at that time Angelina County seat) to Alto began in 1860. The survey crew followed buffalo and Indian trails to determine the best route for the new road. Once open, it was the official mail route from Homer to Alto, and then on to Rusk, the Cherokee County seat. It led through a community known as Denman Springs until 1886 when Lufkin was created there and the road became Denman Avenue. The main part of the Homer- Alto Road became State Highway 40 in the 1930s and later U.S. Highway 69.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11802.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 31° 31.48′ N, 94° 58.114′ W. Marker is near Wells, Texas, in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 69 and County Road 2626, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 69. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wells TX 75976, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Hope Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Falvey Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of the Town of Mount Sterling (approx. 6 miles away); Presidio Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pollok Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Pollok Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Ellis P. Bean (approx. 9.7 miles away); Old Palestine Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wells.
 
More about this marker. This marker is beside Mt. Hope Cemetery marker.
 
Homer-Alto Road Marker and Mt. Hope Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, February 27, 2010
2. Homer-Alto Road Marker and Mt. Hope Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,117 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28167

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024