Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oude Stad in Haarlem, North Holland, Netherlands — Northwestern Europe
 

Bruiningshofje
⎯⎯⎯
Bruinings Almshouse

 
 
Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Andrew Ruppenstein, May 20, 2025
1. Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse Marker
Inscription.  
Omstreeks 1610 gesticht door Jan Bruininck Gerritz. Begin 18de eeuw vergroot. Wegens bouwvalligheid in 1936 grotendeels herbouwd. Gerestaureerd in 1976-1979.

Founded around 1610 by Jan Bruininck Gerritz. Expanded in the early 18th century. Due to dilapidation, it was largely rebuilt in 1936. Restored in 1976-1979.
 
Erected by the ANWB, VVV.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1610.
 
Location. 52° 22.792′ N, 4° 37.9′ E. Marker is in Haarlem, Noord-Holland (North Holland). It is in Oude Stad. It is on Botermarkt east of Gasthuisstraat, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Botermarkt 7C, Haarlem, Noord-Holland 2011 XM, Netherlands. Touch for directions.

Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, the Benelux Low Countries, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker: Brouwershofje / Brewers Almshouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Drogerij / Apothecary (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hofje van Loo, Gasthuisje / Van Loo Almshouse, Inn (about 120 meters away); Wijnbergshofje / Mennonite Almshouse (about 120 meters away); Het Pietershuis (about 150 meters away); Zuiderhofje / Zuider Almshouse (about 150 meters away); Huis Van Schagen / The Van Schagen Building (about 210 meters away); May 8 1945 / 8 Mei 1945 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haarlem.
 
Also see . . .  Bruiningshofje (Wikipedia). Excerpt:
It was founded in 1610 by Jan Bruininck Gerritz (it is assumed), and is one of four hofjes owned by the Mennonite church of Haarlem. The others are the Wijnbergshofje in the Barrevoetestraat, the Zuiderhofje on the Zuiderstraat, and the Blokshofje on the Klein Heiligland (sold in 1970). The founder was from Sneek, and he probably founded the hofje with his daughters in mind, since he had several of them and family members were given first rights to a place in the hofje. The earliest documents
Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Andrew Ruppenstein, May 20, 2025
2. Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse Marker - wide view
The marker, although not hidden, is easily overlooked, as it is attached to the side of a restaurant, sitting at the entrance to a pedestrian walk that leads to the hofje.
surviving date from after this original donor died. A document survives from 1647 in which a sum of 150 Carolus guldens is recorded for adding a new house and garden, received from Lysbeth van Blenckvliet. This early donor was also the founder of the Zuiderhofje, and explains why the garden is managed by the Zuiderhofje gardener.

The hofje originally had rooms for six women with a common privy in the garden. It wasn't renovated for running water or gas heat until 1936, when a redesign was executed, resulting in five homes. It was again renovated in 1978, and the number of houses was reduced again from five to four. The hofje was once one of the wealthiest of Haarlem, and is still quite well off today. The rent is free for the four women living there; they only need to pay service costs.
(Submitted on August 20, 2025.) 
 
Looking down the path to the Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Andrew Ruppenstein, May 20, 2025
3. Looking down the path to the Bruiningshofje / Bruinings Almshouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2025. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2025, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2025, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.
m=282202

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 24, 2026