Guelph in Wellington County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Macdonald Hall
Macdonald Hall was built in 1904 to house women attending the Macdonald Institute, which opened a year earlier. The residence was funded by Sir William Macdonald (1831-1917), the Montreal tobacco magnate and philanthropist, who also funded the creation of the Macdonald Institute.
The three-story-red-brick building contained one hundred residence rooms, a gymnasium and a kitchen, dining and lecture halls, and several staff rooms. Two years after it opened, the residence was full.
As most Macdonald students came from rural areas, living on campus gave them direct access to the Macdonald Institute. Though strict residence rules governed curfew, dress codes, mealtimes, and conduct on campus, Macdonald Hall served as a central hub of student life on campus and provided a gathering place for activities, dances and social groups. Macdonald Hall underwent a number of changes during its lifetime. In 1941, the student residence was closed, and the building was used by the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. In 1946, the residence would reopen to students and was accompanied by a new degree-granting four-year course at the Macdonald Institute in 1948.
With increasing enrollment after the war, Macdonald Hall was restricted to first-year residents, and upper year students were asked to find housing off-campus.
When the University of Guelph was established in 1964, Macdonald Hall was opened to any female residents. Renovations during the 1970s added additional rooms as well as a new food laboratory above the dining hall. By early 2014, Macdonald Hall had served as a female residence for over a century. That year, the University announced its plan to renovate the building as the new home of the College of Business and Economics. The extensive project provided dynamic new teaching spaces, student lounges and a marketplace.
Macdonald Hall has been an influential and iconic part of the campus of the University of Guelph for generations of students, and will continue to serve generations to come.
Generously donated by the Class of Mac'64
Erected by University of Guelph.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 43° 32.046′ N, 80° 13.851′ W. Marker is in Guelph, Ontario, in Wellington County. It is at the intersection of College Avenue East and MacDonald Street, on the right when traveling west on College Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 MacDonald Street, Guelph ON N1G 1M8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics (a few steps from this marker); The Presidents House (within shouting distance of this marker); Macdonald Institute (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); James Mills 1840-1924 (about 90 meters away); George Creelman 1869-1929 (about 120 meters away);
The Founding of the University of Guelph (about 150 meters away); Ontario Agricultural College (about 150 meters away); Entrance Old Main Building (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guelph.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2025. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


