Port Dalhousie in St. Catharines in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
Murphy & Scott Ship Chandler 1885
Inscription.
Murphy & Scott Ship Chandler
1885
Historic Port Dalhousie
Erected by The Port Dalhousie Conservancy.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 43° 12.125′ N, 79° 15.96′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Region. It is in Port Dalhousie. It is at the intersection of Lock Street and Lakeport Road, on the right when traveling north on Lock Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Lock Street, St Catharines ON L2N 4P5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe and in Niagara Canada. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Murphy's Ship Chandlery circa 1885 (here, next to this marker); Sterling Bank of Canada 1907 (within shouting distance of this marker); 12 Lock Street, Port Dalhousie (within shouting distance of this marker); Wellington House 1877 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock One of the Second Welland Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnesdale Streetcar Stop 1908 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pull (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Port Dalhousie Jail circa 1845 (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
Regarding Murphy & Scott Ship Chandler 1885. Around 1878, Edward Murphy entered the ship supply business, here at the northern terminus of the 2nd (later the 3rd) Welland canal. In 1885, Murphy constructed this red-brick building for his chandlery. The first floor was ship supplies including food; the second floor was a lounge / restaurant. A partner Scott joined him in 1891, and Murphy & Scott Ship Chandlery thrived here for decades. In the 1970s, the building was altered to become Murphys Restaurant.

Photographed by Kevin Westell, September 12, 2025
2. Murphy & Scott Ship Chandler 1885 - Marker in context
Photo faces north and north-west from Lock St. The marker (centre, partially hidden by light fixture) is mounted high-up, left of the side-entrance. The steps in the foundation show that the building is on a moderate slope.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2026. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2025, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2025, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


