Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Birch House

 
 
The Birch House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Clifford, March 26, 2009
1. The Birch House Marker
Inscription.  Located on 2.1 acres of land purchased by Joseph E. Birch for $105 in 1849 (part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). Original house was 1 1/2 story "I" house, raised to 2-stories in 1850s; 1873 addition doubled the size. Blacksmith/farmer Birch was on first town council. A founder of Jefferson Institute, & a methodist church trustee. Wife Mary led a successful temperance movement. Three generations of Birches lived here until 1968. In 1976, the house, empty and vandalized, along with 2.5 acres was sold by grandson Milton to Historic Falls Church, Inc., which was organized to save the 300 block from developers.
 
Erected by City of Falls Church.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 38° 52.767′ N, 77° 10.016′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is on East Broad Street (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 East Broad Street, Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Institute (a few steps from this marker); Turnpike Tollgate (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wren’s Tavern (about 500 feet away); Falls Church High School (FCHS) Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harriet and George Brice (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
 
The Birch House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
2. The Birch House Marker
The Birch House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
3. The Birch House
The Birch House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, October 3, 2015
4. The Birch House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,058 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Carl Clifford of Arlington, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on October 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2858

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024