Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sawyer Sanatorium At White Oaks Farm
Inscription.
Doctors Charles Elmer Sawyer and his son, Carl Walker Sawyer, opened Sawyer Sanatorium on White Oaks Farm in 1911, Built to provide physical and emotional healing in a unique environment, the complex incorporated six patient bungalows, houses for the two doctors, offices, a large dining and social hall, and treatment buildings. An enclosed quarter-mile-long. cloister connected these buildings around a large courtyard. Each bungalow, given botanical names such as "Ivy" and "Rose." contained individual patient rooms, a communal living room, and bathing facilities. Hydropathic and electropathic treatments buildings were added later shady ten-acre knoll on the farm featured a grove of white oak trees that served as a picnic area for patients. Over the years, the facility also hosted local and national social and political events.
Charles Sawyer a close friend of Warren and Florence Kling Harding served as their personal physician until the president's death in 1923. Returning to Marion, Florence Harding lived at Sawyer Sanatorium, receiving cars from the Sawyers until her 1924 death. Warren Curtis Sawyer, son of Carl Sawyer, graduated from Medical School in 1935 and joined the staff as the third generation of his family to practice at the sanatorium. In May 1963. the facility shifted emphasis from hospital to nursing and convalescent home and changed its name to White Oaks Farm. It closed in 1970. Between 1968 and 1970, federal grants and a donation by Cleo and Dorothy Ludwig enabled the City of Marion to purchase 114.8 acres of the property. Sawyer Ludwig Park opened in 1971.
Erected 2025 by Marion County Historical Society; City Of Marion, Ohio; Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 20-51.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1963.
Location. 40° 33.938′ N, 83° 8.711′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. It is at the intersection of Davids Street and Barks Road West, on the right when traveling south on Davids Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1427 White Oaks Rd, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Scioto Valley and in the Till Plains. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Harding Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Jacob's Well (approx. 1½ miles away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 1.6 miles away); Founders' Point (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hotel Harding (approx. 1.7 miles away); Palace Theater (approx. 1.7 miles away); Marion Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ornamental Stone (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2025. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear, daylight photos of the marker in context. • Can you help?



