Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
State House Square
The Maryland General Assembly, acting under the provisions of the state’s first constitution (1776), named the initial judges of the court on December 12, 1778 and, with Governor Thomas Johnson, issued commissions on December 22, 1778
The court first convened October 1, 1780 in the Revenue Office on Duke of Gloucester Street in the City of Annapolis and continued to hold its sessions there until ca. 1789 when it moved to the State House in 1903. The court began sitting in its own building on the site of this marker, designed by the Baltimore architectural firm of Baldwin and Pennington. The Courthouse included elegant Tiffany studio windows, depicting the state seal and a domed Tiffany studio skylight.
In 1972 the court moved approximately one mile northwest of this marker to its present home on Roscoe Rowe
In 1976 the old courthouse was replaced by the Legislative Services building to the left of this marker, in which the Tiffany windows and dome of the earlier building are incorporated.
Erected by Maryland State Bar Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1780.
Location. 38° 58.768′ N, 76° 29.518′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on College Avenue (Maryland Route 450) near Bladen Street. This marker is on the grounds of the Maryland State House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Sir Francis Nicholson and Bloomsbury Square (a few steps from this marker); Thurgood Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Government House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Southgate Memorial (about 300 feet away); Maryland State House White Oak (about 300 feet away); Matthew Alexander Henson (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.