Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bolton Factory on Upton’s Creek
Eight miles east from Washington, GA.
First cotton mill in the South
Erected 1923 by Boyd Ficklen.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 33° 44.275′ N, 82° 44.343′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Court Street and East Square, on the left when traveling east on East Court Street. The marker is stands in front of the Wilkes County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 East Court Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilkes County (here, next to this marker); In Memory of Cpl. M. Philip Scarborough, USMC (here, next to this marker); Washington Square (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Davis (here, next to this marker); The Dissolution of the Confederate Government (a few steps from this marker); Washington-Wilkes Vietnam MonumentWoodmen of the World Supreme Sacrifice Monument (a few steps from this marker); Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Regarding Bolton Factory. The marker is attached to a stone marking the original site of Bolton's Mill, erected in 1811. The stone was moved to Washington in 1923 by Boyce Ficklen, Sr., a local banker, county treasurer, and state legislator. Ficklen wrote a column called "Keep History Straight" in his Wilkes County Forum.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.