Near Ashland in Ashland County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Frontier Violence During the War of 1812
Tensions between Native Americans and Euro-American settlers remained high on the Ohio frontier during the War of 1812. Grievances mounted rapidly following the removal of the Greentown Delawares to Piqua in the late summer of 1812. On September 10, British-allied Indians attacked and killed the Frederick Zimmer family and neighbor Martin Ruffner one mile north of here. Five days later, on September 15, Reverend James Copus and three militiamen - George Shipley, John Tedrick, and Robert Warnock - were killed while defending Copus’ family from a raiding party one mile south of this site.
Although several Indians were reported killed and wounded during the Zimmer and Copus incidents, no accurate count of Native American casualties survives.
In 1882, a reported 6,000 spectators converged in this area to participate in dedicating two monuments over the graves of the fallen settlers and soldiers. Tradition holds that Johnny Appleseed raced throughout the region warning others of impending attack following these incidents. His name was included on the 1882 Copus memorial, the earliest known monument erected to his memory
Erected 2000 by The Johnny Appleseed Heritage Center, Inc. and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1894.
Location. 40° 44.38′ N, 82° 21.474′ W. Marker is near Ashland, Ohio, in Ashland County. Marker is on Ohio Route 603, on the right when traveling south. It is at the Charles Mills Lake Damsite. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lucas OH 44843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Mifflin (approx. 2.4 miles away); Greentown Delaware Village (approx. 3.3 miles away); Johnny “Appleseed” Land Lease and Nursery (approx. 5 miles away); PFC Terry L. Schaub (approx. 5˝ miles away); Hayesville (approx. 5˝ miles away); Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House (approx. 5˝ miles away); Louis Bromfield / Malabar Farm (approx. 6˝ miles away); East Cell Block (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial(Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 3,607 times since then and 120 times this year. Last updated on March 19, 2010, by Brian Hart of Mansfield, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.