Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dresden in Lincoln County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Pownalborough Court House

 
 
Pownalborough Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Jimmy Emerson, July 2023
1. Pownalborough Court House Marker
Inscription.
Pownalborough Court House
1761
Lincoln County's first courthouse, built by Gershom Flagg of Boston for the proprietors of the Kennebec Purchase. A company formed in 1749 to settle lands along the Kennebec River. Courts were held here until 1794 when the county seat was moved to Wiscasset. The house originally stood within the stockade of Fort Shirley, erected by the proprietors on this site in 1752, and serves as courthouse, residence and tavern.

Major Samuel Goodwin, Fort Commander and company agent was the first resident and the house was acquired from his descendents but the Lincoln County Cultural and Historical Association in 1954.
This plaque placed August 25, 1969
by
Maine Society Daughters of the American Colonists

 
Erected 1969 by Maine Society of Daughters of The American Colonists.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraForts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1761.
 
Location. 44° 6.377′ N, 69° 46.04′ W. Marker is in Dresden, Maine, in Lincoln County. It can be reached from Cedar
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Grove Road 0.8 miles north of Ludwig Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Court House Road, Dresden ME 04342, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Midcoast Maine. It is also in the American Northeast, in New England, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Colonel Benedict Arnold (approx. 6.4 miles away); Reuben Colburn House, 1765 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Old Lincoln County Jail - 1811 (approx. 8.4 miles away); St. Philip's Episcopal Church - 1823 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Groves-Hodge House (approx. 8.6 miles away); Wiscasset Academy - 1807 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Bailey-Tucker House 1803 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Swett-Johnston-Neal House - 1805 (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  National Society Daughters of the American Colonists (NSDAC). (Submitted on November 16, 2025, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Pownalborough Court House image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Jimmy Emerson, July 2023
2. Pownalborough Court House
The marker is to the left of the door
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2025. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
m=288294

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 9, 2026