Neepawa, Manitoba — Canadas Prairie Region (North America)
The Beautiful Plains County Court Building
During the Manitoba land boom of the late 1870s and early 1880s settlers from Ontario were attracted to the Beautiful Plains area. The town of Neepawa was incorporated in 1883 and became the county seat the following year. The County Court Building was erected in 1884 to house the court and gaol as well as town and municipal offices.
The county comprised four municipalities - Glendale, Lansdowne, Osprey and Rosedale. The local municipalities continued to use the building after the county system ceased to exist in 1890.
This building was designed by C. Osborn Wickenden, who was also the architect of the court houses in Brandon and Winnipeg. The Neepawa and Brandon buildings are the oldest surviving court houses on the Prairies.
Local citizens were responsible for preserving this building which is still in public use.
Erected by Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 50° 13.696′ N, 99° 27.928′ W. Marker is in Neepawa, Manitoba. It is on Hamilton Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 282 Hamilton Street, Neepawa MB R0J 1H0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Manitoba’s Parkland Region. It is also in the Prairies. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least one other marker is within walking distance of this marker: A different marker also named Beautiful Plains County Court Building (here, next to this marker).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2025. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

