Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hot Sulphur Springs in Grand County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Grand County Courthouse

1878

 
 
Grand County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2025
1. Grand County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.
This building was built in Sulphur on the northwest side of the town facing south. It was first used by C.H. Hook as a general store. After years of being used for many other purposes, it became the courthouse in 1888 through 1902.

In 1937 it was donated to the Grand County Pioneer Society. In 1939 it was moved to a site south of the courthouse and became the Grand County Library and the first Pioneer Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 40° 4.352′ N, 106° 6.038′ W. Marker is in Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado, in Grand County. It can be reached from the intersection of Byers Avenue (U.S. 40) and 1st Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker and courthouse are on the Grand County Pioneer Village Museum grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 East Byers Avenue, Hot Sulphur Springs CO 80451, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Colorado High Rockies and
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
on the Continental Divide. It is also in the American Mountain West. Globally, it is in North America, the Rocky Mountains, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.

Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Blacksmith Shop (here, next to this marker); Ranch House (a few steps from this marker); Eight Mile Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); Grand County Jail (a few steps from this marker); The First School in Grand County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Headwaters of Exploration (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hot Springs to Resort (approx. 0.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Grand County Courthouse History.
Excerpt:  The county was created in 1874 and Hot Sulphur Springs was selected as the county seat. In 1882 the county seat was moved to Grand Lake and then back to Hot Sulphur Springs in 1888. The first courthouse was a one-story log cabin used from 1891 to 1902 and is still standing. The second courthouse was built in 1902. The third courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 and became the County Administration Building. The fourth and
Grand County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2025
2. Grand County Courthouse Marker
The marker is near the northwest corner of the historic courthouse.
present courthouse was constructed in 2007 to 2008.
(Submitted on November 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
1878 Grand County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2025
3. 1878 Grand County Courthouse
1878 Grand County Courthouse Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2025
4. 1878 Grand County Courthouse Interior
1878 Grand County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2025
5. 1878 Grand County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2025. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
m=288899

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 23, 2026