Billings in Yellowstone County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 1866.
Location. 45° 48.139′ N, 108° 28.852′ W. Marker is in Billings, Montana, in Yellowstone County. Marker is on 6th Avenue Bypass 0.1 miles south of E. Airport Road, on the left when traveling south. Located just north of the parking lot to Applebee's Neighborhood Grill off of E. Alkali Creek Road. When site was visited in late March 2009, major roadway construction was taking place in this area and the 6th Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Billings MT 59102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Place Where the White Horse Went Down (a few steps from this marker); Lewis and Clark Yellowstone River Journey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skeleton Cliff (approx. Ό mile away); Where the River Meets the Rims (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Nomadic Experience (approx. half a mile away); Luther Sage "Yellowstone" Kelly (approx. half a mile away); Yellowstone Kelly's Grave (approx. half a mile away); Surely this spot was meant for Yellowstone Kelley (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Billings.
More about this marker. This marker is unlike most of the Montana highway markers, as it is made of a piece of sheet metal formed into a concrete base, with the lettering cut stenciled through the sheet metal. There are a number of additional monuments in this same location, including some grave related monuments and "The Place Where the White Horse Went Down" monument.
1. "Historical Significance" monument text
Boothill Cemetery plaque given by the City of Billings to describe the Historical Significance and Deceased buried at the cemetery. It reads as follows:
Fact, fiction, or legend? Coulson Hill Cemetery, as it was originally called, served the residents of the free-wheeling river town of Coulson in the late 1880's and is now the only visible reminder of the once thriving Burg. Gunfighters, Indian tribesmen, soldiers, railroad workers, lawmen, women and children were all put to rest in shallow graves here. Although the number of people buried is uncertain,
Alderson, Ellen Barns, Archie Barns, Fred Brown, Sand Bar Carter, Louisa "Lulu" Christie, Thomas Currier, David Dill, Clint Dwyer, Patrick Faulkes, Judge Edward Foster, Peter Fowler, Allen Hart, John Hope, Edward M. Johnson, Louis "Bud" Kinse, Henry Leahy, Dan Needum, Billy Prebbles, Capt. Ed Preston, William "Billy" Redmond, Joe Reed (infant) Russel, James D. Seafer, (unknown) Smith, Danny Smith, Hugh Stoltz, William "Dutch Bill" Summers, Milton Taylor, H.M. "Muggins" Toplift, Clarence Walker, Ben *Unknown - 13 Soldiers *Unknown - 3 Men *Unknown - 11 Soldiers *Unknown - 2 Soldiers
Rest In Peace
— Submitted March 21, 2010, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,887 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.