Battleford in Battle River No. 438, Saskatchewan — The Prairie Region (North America)
Telegraph Flat
Telegraph Flat was named in 1876 when the Dominion Telegraph Company opened its western terminus office on this site. In the same year the Hudson's Bay Company built a nearby trading post, and the North-West Mounted Police established its Saskatchewan District headquarters north of the Battle River. Also, the hill south of the flat was selected as the site for the capital of the North-West Territories and named Battleford, and in 1877 government offices and a residence for the Lieutenant-Governor were erected.
Later developments included the establishment of the Saskatchewan Herald, the first territorial newspaper, in August 1878. A small settlement developed on the flat, and a townsite was surveyed in 1882. However, settlers gradually moved to the north side of the river near the NWMP barracks, a move hastened by the burning of part of the town during the North-West Rebellion of 1885.
Erected by Government of Saskatchewan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 52° 42.949′ N, 108° 18.089′ W. Marker is in Battleford, Saskatchewan, in Battle River No. 438. It is at the intersection of 2 Street South (Old Provincial Highway 658) and Provincial Highway 4, on the left when traveling east on 2 Street South. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Battleford SK S0M 0E0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Parkland Saskatchewan. It is also in the Prairies. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony and also Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Saskatchewan Herald (a few steps from this marker); Seat of the Territorial Government 1878-1883 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Government House, Battleford (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Government House Battleford (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Oblate Seminary (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); a different marker also named Government House (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The End of an Era (approx. 0.7 kilometers away);
Seventh Day Adventists Academy (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battleford.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2025. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

