Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Alabama Central Female College

 
 
Alabama Central Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
1. Alabama Central Female College Marker
Inscription.  After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.

In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety-nine years to the newly formed Baptist affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building.

On August 22, 1923, the historic building was totally destroyed by fire. In the 1930s the site was cleared for use as a park.
 
Erected 1992 by City of Tuscaloosa.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationGovernment & PoliticsLandmarksNotable PlacesWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 33° 12.463′ N, 87° 34.465′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 6th Street and 28th Avenue. Marker is located in Capitol Park on the west side of the Capitol Ruins.
Alabama Central Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
2. Alabama Central Female College Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Honor Roll of Soldiers and Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Masons Marks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Architect (within shouting distance of this marker); John Murphy (within shouting distance of this marker); Gabriel Moore (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel B. Moore (within shouting distance of this marker); John Gayle (within shouting distance of this marker); Clement Comer Clay (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
 
West side of the Capitol Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
3. West side of the Capitol Ruins
Alabama Central Female College/Old Capitol image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Library of Congress
4. Alabama Central Female College/Old Capitol
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,597 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   4. submitted on August 12, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29064

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022