Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucker in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill

 
 
Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
1. Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker
Inscription.  July 18, 1864. Loganís troops, having detoured from Shallow Fd. Rd. to Browningís Court House (TUCKER), to co-operate with Garrardís cav, in the destruction of the Georgia R.R. at Stone Mtn., remained in this vicinity while Lightburnís brigade was sent to support Garrard.

When Lightburn returned, Logan withdrew the corps 1.5 mi. W. to Hendersonís Mill where it camped that night.

This withdrawal served two purposes: to make a more compact front for the Army of the Tennessee [US] & to get an adequate supply of water not available at Browningís.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-17.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1829.
 
Location. 33° 51.174′ N, 84° 13.705′ W. Marker is in Tucker, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Lavista Road (Georgia Route 236) and Midvale Road, on the right when traveling west
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Lavista Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucker GA 30084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garrard & Lightburn to Stone Mountain (approx. 0.6 miles away); Browning's Court House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site: Hendersonís Mill (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); The March to Decatur (approx. 1.7 miles away); Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur (approx. 1.7 miles away); Loganís 15th Corps & Garrardís Cavalry (approx. 2 miles away); Federal Left Wing to Decatur (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucker.
 
Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
2. Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker
Looking east on Lavista Road toward Tucker; Logan withdrew from Tucker along this road past the site of the marker.
Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, March 20, 2010
3. Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill Marker
Looking east on Lavista Road toward Atlanta. Logan's withdrawal turned right (north) at this point.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29106

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024