Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkton in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Jennings House

Confederate Hospital

 
 
Jennings House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
1. Jennings House Marker
Inscription.  1862 & 1864 Valley Campaigns.
This eight-room brick dwelling was built in 1840 for Dr. Simeon B. Jennings, a former resident of Port Republic. At the time of the Civil War, it was one of only half a dozen houses located in the Conrad’s Store (present-day Elkton) community.

On the evening of April 19, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s 6,000-man army marched by here and into a bivouac that stretched to Swift Run. After Jackson’s men departed on April 30, Gen. Richard S. Ewell’s division crossed through Swift Run Gap east of here and occupied the still-burning campsites for the next two weeks. According to Cpl. Randolph H. McKim, Co. H, 1st Maryland Infantry (C.S.A.), the monotony of camp life was “varied for some of us by visits to Doctor Jennings’, whose charming daughters [Ann, Elizabeth, Virginia, Marietta, Mary, and Malinda] greatly attracted us. ... There we had music and song and bright and merry converse, which speedily banished the memory of the hardships of the past two months.”

After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic (June 8-9, 1862), Jennings and his wife Barbara ministered
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to dozens of wounded Confederate soldiers in their house. The more severely wounded soldiers are said to have been placed beneath this giant burr oak, where they were treated before being transferred to hospitals.

In October 1864, during Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s burning of the Shenandoah Valley, Jennings’ nearby flour mill was destroyed by fire.
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 19, 1968.
 
Location. 38° 24.476′ N, 78° 37.286′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on West Rockingham Street near West Spotswood Trail (Business U.S. 33), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton VA 22827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elkton World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elkton 9-11 Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Adam Miller (approx. 0.9 miles away); Newtown (East Elkton) School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Rockingham County / Page County
Jennings House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
2. Jennings House and Marker
(approx. 3.9 miles away); History of Verbena (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkton.
 
More about this marker. In the lower center the marker displays a portrait of Dr. Simeon B. Jennings.

On the upper right is a photo of a bleeder with leather covered case marked “KOLB.” It was used by Dr. Jennings in his practice — and is now on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum located on E. Rockingham St.

On the upper right is a photo of a the Philadelphia brass scales used by Dr. Jennings. They are also on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum.

On the right side is a map of the area described in the text. The map carries the caption, "After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic, wounded soldiers of Jackson’s army were carried northward, along an old road which paralleled the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, to Dr. Jennings’ residence at Conrad’s Store (now Elton)."
 
“The Jennings House” image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
3. “The Jennings House”
“1825. Used as a hospital during the Civil War. This plaque erected by the Woman’s Club of Elkton during the Bicentennial Year 1976.”
Contemporary photo of the old Conrad's Store building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert H. Moore, II, circa 2002
4. Contemporary photo of the old Conrad's Store building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,492 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2916

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024