Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmville in Prince Edward County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Longwood University

 
 
Longwood University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
1. Longwood University Marker
Inscription.  Longwood University is a state-supported institution developed from the privately owned Farmville Female Seminary that was incorporated in 1839. In 1884, it became a public institution when the Commonwealth acquired the property and renamed it the State Female Normal School at Farmville. It was the first state institution of higher learning for women in Virginia. Former Virginia superintendent of public instruction, William H. Ruffner, was its first president, serving from 1884 to 1887. The school has undergone a number of name changes and became Longwood College in 1949 and Longwood University in 2002. The university became coeducational in 1976.
 
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number I 15-a.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 37° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
17.914′ N, 78° 23.645′ W. Marker was in Farmville, Virginia, in Prince Edward County. Marker was at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 15) and Redford Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Farmville VA 23901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Longwood College (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beulah AME Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Street / Mayor J. David Crute / EACO Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. William W. H. Thackston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Four Sororities Founded (approx. ¼ mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmville.
 
Also see . . .  Longwood University. University web site. (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Longwood University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
2. Longwood University Marker
Longwood University Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
3. Longwood University Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29164

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024