Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Underground Railroad in Hancock County
The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 prompted an expansion of the "Underground Railroad," and as the state spanning the shortest distance between the Ohio River and Canada, Ohio saw heavy traffic in escaping slaves in the decades before the Civil War. Hancock County was home to many sympathetic residents who defied fugitive slave laws to help conduct slaves to freedom. "Stationmasters" offered safe havens, "conductors" accompanied fugitives through the county, and "stockholders" provided financial support and misled pursuers. Known stations were located mainly along the Perrysburg Road, now U.S. Highway 68.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
David Adams, a free black barber in Findlay, watched his father and grandfather assist fugitive slaves as a child in Urbana. In the 1850s he conducted scores of "passengers" northward from Findlay. Other Hancock County stations included the farms of John Woods, John King, and Judge Robert Strother; other conductors included Robert Hurd and Joel Markle. Other local participants in America's first struggle for civil rights: William
Erected 2001 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, Hancock Historical Museum, Black Heritage Library and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Civil Rights. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 2.322′ N, 83° 39.003′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is across Main Stree from the east entrance to the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S Main Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock County CourthouseWar Savings Quota (within shouting distance of this marker); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (about 300 feet away); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (about 700 feet away); First School Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
Also see . . .
1. Findlay, Ohio. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Underground Railroad in Ohio. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. 1903 History of Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,076 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.