Near Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Zion Lutheran Church of Mission Valley
Mission Valley has long been a site of religious activity. Its town name indicates it was one of the locations of a Spanish mission attempting to colonize and Christianize the Native Americans in the area. As the Spanish moved out and Anglo and German settlers moved in, Mission Valley was a typical town with a rail depot, blacksmith, post office, school, cotton gin and entertainment halls. Early churches held services in homes and schools. Under the leadership of Pastor John M. Bergner (1884-1943), the Lutherans of Mission Valley sought to have a church of their own. Records from the Gisler and Schaefer store, which helped track the financials and attendance in the early years, indicate the first financial entry for a Lutheran church was in 1911. On August 1, 1915, the church officially organized. Early services were conducted in German, reflecting the heritage of many members. In 1918, the local Council of Defense forced the church to have services in English. In 1924, a small wooden church was built on land donated by John L. Gisler, and the first confirmation class in English took place a year later.
In 1938, the church installed Pastor Kramer as its first full-time clergyman. Throughout the 1930s-1950s, the church was active both in social and building programs, adding a parsonage, kitchen, parish hall and assembly hall. In 1968, a new church sanctuary was built. Renovations to each building have continued and a new fellowship hall was constructed to replace the demolished parish hall. For the past century, the Zion Lutheran Church of Mission Valley has continued strong in its service and witness to the surrounding area. Today, the congregation remains a dynamic force at the center of this community.
Erected 2022 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23503.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 1, 1915.
Location. 28° 53.904′ N, 97° 11.511′ W. Marker is near Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. It is on Farm to Market Road 236 east of Arnold Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12183 FM 236, Victoria
TX 77905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and on the Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Mission Espνritu Santo Cattle Ranch (approx. 4.1 miles away); Noll School and Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Golly Hollow School and Community (approx. 5.3 miles away); Gilbert Onderdonk and Nursery, Texas (approx. 6 miles away); Nursery School and Nursery Independent School District (approx. 6.1 miles away); Murphy Home (approx. 6.3 miles away); Murphy Ranch (approx. 6.8 miles away); Thomaston (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2026. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.

