Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Elizabeth White House

 
 
Elizabeth White House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Elizabeth White House Marker
Inscription.  The Elizabeth White House, built about 1854, was for many years the home of Miss White (1893-1976), a Sumter native who was an internationally-acclaimed artist and lifelong patron of the arts. White, who studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, is best known for her etchings of South Carolina scenes. This Greek Revival cottage was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
 
Erected 1996 by The Sumter County Historical Society. (Marker Number 43-27.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 33° 55.684′ N, 80° 20.484′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Located north of Loring Drive/ Warren Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry L. Scarborough House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sumter Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church Sumter
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); The Tuomey Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sumter World War II Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Military Post / Potter's Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
 
Regarding Elizabeth White House. The Elizabeth White House, built ca. 1854, is significant architecturally as an example of vernacular Greek Revival design and for its association with Elizabeth White (1883-1976), a nationally recognized artist. Most likely, the house was built by John E. Brown, a merchant, ca. 1854. In 1886, the property was acquired by the Anthony White family whose members were prominent in the political, social and commercial development of Sumter. The property remained in the White family until the death of Elizabeth White in 1976. White’s work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian Institution (1939), the New York’s World’s Fair (1939), and the International Biennial Exhibition of Art in Venice, Italy. One of her etchings hangs permanently
Elizabeth White House Marker, looking north along North Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 10, 2010
2. Elizabeth White House Marker, looking north along North Main Street
in the Library of Congress. Under the provisions of White’s will, the property has been transferred to the Sumter Gallery of Art for use as an art gallery. Listed in the National Register March 21, 1978. (South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
 
Elizabeth White House seen today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 10, 2010
3. Elizabeth White House seen today
National Register of Historic Places: Elizabeth White, House (added 1978 - Building - #78002531)
Elizabeth White House Marker, looking south along North Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 10, 2010
4. Elizabeth White House Marker, looking south along North Main Street
Elizabeth White House image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1977
5. Elizabeth White House
Elizabeth White House image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1988
6. Elizabeth White House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,754 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29201

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024