Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Depot Explosion and Mystery

 
 
The Depot Explosion and Mystery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 23, 2010
1. The Depot Explosion and Mystery Marker
Inscription.  On the evening of March 2, 1913, an explosion destroyed the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad depot at this site, disrupting the town's vital source of transportation and trade. Although a body was not discovered, it was presumed a railroad employee had been killed in the mishap. He was later declared legally dead and his stepmother collected on his insurance. In 1916, however, he was returned to Lufkin by Judge E.J. Mantooth, a local attorney acting on behalf of the insurance firms. The railroad employee stood trial for insurance fraud, but was subsequently acquitted.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6988.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable EventsRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1995.
 
Location. 31° 20.342′ N, 94° 43.801′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of Angelina Street and Cotton Square, on the right when traveling north on Angelina Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
The Depot Explosion and Mystery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 23, 2010
2. The Depot Explosion and Mystery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. KRBA-AM Radio Station (a few steps from this marker); Calder (Cotton) Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band (within shouting distance of this marker); Kerr's Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Angelina County (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,445 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29203

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 27, 2021